Wireless Networks That Rock – 5 Ninja Tips to Speed Up Your Network
Is you wireless network capable of handle IPTV, streaming rock music, high speed down loads and gaming all at the same time?
1. Choose the right Wireless Access Point – A “fast wireless network” is a combination of two things. First is how stable is your signal and what is the range of that stable signal. Next, what is the receive sensitivity of you wireless adapter on your client device IE your laptops of Desktop.
2. External Wireless Adapters – Add a external wireless adapter to your laptop that is powered. Just by Google usb wireless adapter and you will find many different vendors
3. Wireless Access Point Placement – Place your wireless access point in the middle of you location. Almost all wireless access points come with omni-directional antennas, which emit a doughnut pattern signal in all directions. If you place your wireless access point near a wall then half of your signal is going out the door.
4. Transmit on G/N Only – Set your wireless network to only allow 802.11g/n clients. If you allow 802.11b clients then as soon as one 802.11b client connect to the network your speed is cut in half. This is due to the extra wireless management frames that are required for the “B” guys to talk to the “G” network.
5. Wireless Channel -If your network is slow and keeps kicking you off then you might be experiencing co-channel interference. Download Netstumbler and check out what channel your neighbors networks are running on. More that likely they are running on channel 6. If so then change your wireless access points channel to 1 or 11. IPTV